Victoria Street Market

The Victoria Street Market was established in 1910 and will be 100 years old this year. The original traders in this area were Indian indentured labourers who traded along the street paving of Victoria Street between 1860 and 1910. In 1910 the municipality allocated this area to house these traders, and currently the market supports 180 traders. This market has small individually owned stores selling jewellery, spices, skinned products, traditional arts and crafts and bead work.

More information


Between 1968 and 1973 there was a bid to move the Market so that a freeway could be built in that space. The traders resisted this bid. In 1973 the Market was burnt down in a fire which some traders believe started under suspicious circumstances. The traders were then relocated to the Bulk Sales Hall until 1990 and the market became known as the Durban Indian Market. The significance of this location is that within this area the Durban Indian Market was alongside the African Market in what was described as a melting pot of cultures exhibiting harmonious diversity in an otherwise segregated and divided society.
 
After much lobbying by the traders, and with the assistance of Senator Owen Horward, The market was then rebuilt and the traders were relocated back to the original market space along Victoria Street. Thus the market was named the Victoria Street Market. 90% of the traders are shareholders in the new development and have sectional title rights to their individual shops. Currently, the market traders comprise of third and forth generation descendents from the initial street traders between 1860 and 1910.

book-a-tour

victoria-street-market


Victoria Street Market



Close

Get the Flash Player to see this player.